"A walk from our industrial past -
To our environmentally friendly future."
The woodlands cover 25 hectares of land on the East side of the Ebbw Fach Valley, situated adjacent to the North side of the Arael View Estates, the Roseheyworth Community Woodlands has been obtained by the Lower Arael View Tenants and Residents Association for the recreational use of the general public.
Near the Lower Arael View Estate, with the help of Blaenau Gwent Borough Council, the WDA, Cydcoed and Coed Cymru, a a turfed outdoor recreation area for ball games was reinstated and a wide footpath from this area to Bourneville which is the next village along and which borders the woodlands to the South of Bourneville was constructed. This path allowed people to progress to and from both areas through the woodlands safely away from the road which borders the woodlands to the West.
The woodlands offers much potential for educational functions and the local Primary School, Roseheyworth Millennium Primary School, is a partner in the development of the wood for educational and recreational purposes.
Having such a woodland facility will help Roseheyworth Millennium Primary School immensely by eliminating the need to hire buses to bus the children to and fro to woodlands away from the area. They are now within seven minutes walking distance from their own woodland something which is much appreciated by all concerned.
At the Bourneville end of the Woodlands there is a natural Amphitheatre that is to be developed as a picnic area and outdoor classroom, it will also be used on occasion by the School to put on outdoor school plays if and when the weather allows.
Walking paths and bridleways, which can be used for mountain biking, enhance the attractions of the area and recently a new trail leads from Cwmtillery lakes over to the ancient deciduous woodlands at Roseheyworth.
Sunk around 1872, with the first coal raised in 1873 and comprised of three shafts, the deepest reaching 252.5 metres.
By 1913 the colliery employed 2,986 in the hands of Lancaster’s Steam Colliery Ltd and produced coking, house manufacturing and steam coals. In the late 1950’s, the National Coal Board modernised the Roseheyworth and Cwmtillery Colleries and renamed the Abertillery New Mine. The surface at Roseheyworth was revamped and a new washery constructed with the output from Blaenserchan Colliery brought underground to Roseheyworth, and by 1967, the main trunk conveyor reached three miles in length.
By 1981, 763 men worked at the colliery, with the Cwmtillery section closing in 1982.Roseheyworth closed in October 1985.
The Interpretation Panel above shows a map of the trail to Cwmtillery Lakes and an identical panel can be found at Cwmtillery.
The white text below about Roseheyworth Colliery has been taken from the panel.
This is the entrance to the Woodlands,there is not a car park, but there is some space
to park on the road.
HOW TO GET TO ROSEHEYWORTH WOODLANDS
To get directions to Roseheyworth Road (marked 'P' on the above map), please click on the GOOGLE Map to the right, and then click on "view larger map".