"A walk from our industrial past -
To our environmentally friendly future."
The Six Bells Colliery Site
This is the site of the Six Bells Colliery, where a mining disaster killed 45 men on June 28th 1960.
This project is centered around creating open and accessible spaces for our community and attracting visitors to the area.
There will be increased planting to help support wildlife in the area and nature trails.
Work has already begun with the installation of walkways, seating, native planting and BBQ areas. Further work will include a new cycle route (linking Abertillery and Llanhilleth), increased walkways, heritage and environmental information, seating and family areas.
The site is also the location of the new Six Bells Miners Memorial and hosts the 'Six Bells Pit Party' - an annual community celebration held in May.To find out more about the Colliery Site and the disaster, please visit the Abertillery.net ebsite by clicking on the link to the right.
St Illtyd's Church
This is the oldest building in Blaenau Gwent. The church dates back to c.1250 on site of older building of 9th or 10th century. Castle mound may date to 1093.
To find more about the church, please visit the BGCBC website by clicking here.
Please visit the "The Friends of St Illtyd's Church"' Website, by clicking here.
The site of medieval castle, c.1260-1350, excavated in 1920's.
To find out more about Castell Taliorum, Please visit the BGCBC website, by clicking here.
Also, visit the Castles of Wales Website by Jeffrey.L.Thomas by clicking here.
The Packhorse Bridge at Aberbeeg
A well-preserved example of a 17th Century packhorse bridge.
Llanhilleth Miners Institute
The institute was opened in May 1906 and the building was saved from extinction and restored through a joint initiative by Blaenau Gwent CBC and Communities First.It is now a community resource.
To find out more about the Llanhilleth Institute, please visit their website by clicking here.