"A walk from our industrial past -
To our environmentally friendly future."
The Friends of Parc Nant-y-Waun
In July 2005, Nantyglo Communities First initiated a series of leaflet drops, meetings and consultations which resulted in a group of concerned local people coming together to form The Friends of Parc Nant-y-Waun. Their aim was to take the 22 hectares of rough grassland, mires and the old reservoirs that once fed the now demolished Nantyglo Ironworks, and make it into an area where local people could go to relax and enjoy the countryside.
Since then, paths have been laid and a bridge build to improve accessability, a Picnic Area and an Outdoor Classroom have also been constructed, and large numbers of trees planted to diversify the habitat to increase the numbers and species of wildlife.
The Open space
The open space covers over 22 hectares and was created as part of a land reclamation scheme in former mine workings. Two of the main pathways through the site follow the routes of tram roads built between 1793 and 1833, that carried coal, iron ore and other materials from the Ironworks at Nantyglo and Beaufort to the quarries above Lllangattock and the canal at Gilwern.
Warwick Road follows the route of the Abergavenny to Merthyr railway built in 1862 and closed in 1953.
Over three hectares of native new woodland has been created. The trees planted are native to ensure they match the site conditions and benefit wildlife. Trees include sessile oak, rowan, downy birch, hazel and holly. A number of memorial trees, sponsored by members of the local community have also been planted.
There are three ponds in the Park, the large pond known locally as the Machine Pond, and the Horsetail Pond are of ecological and archaeological importance. They date between 1796 and 1820 and were once part of a series of five ponds that ran into the ironworks at Nantyglo. The site also supports other smaller ponds, which are important for amphibians and dragonflies.
A few years ago the Horsetail Pond was silted up and was then partly scraped to create an open area of water.
Around the Machine Pond, a level pathway has been created with wheelchair friendly links to Warwick Road. A small carpark has been created at the southern end of the lake from which there is a wheelchair friendly link to the the pond.
To encourage more wildfowl to breed on the Pond, an artificial nesting island has been created. More islands, including one aimed at encouraging terns to nest, are currently being constructed. Funding is being sought to install some wheelchair friendly fishing bays and also to restock the pond with suitable fish. An Angling club has been formed to manage the water and some baliffs have been appointed.
The Machine Pond flows into a small pond called the Mustard Pond. This sheltered area is a haven for wildlife and has been improved with this in mind.
To find out more about Parc Nant-y-Waun, please visit their website, by clicking on the following logo, they also have a Facebook page.
Beaufort Hill Entrance.
There is a car park at the back of Canterbury Road.
There are areas along Warwick Road where cars can be parked.
Bottom end of Machine Pond
There is a car park at the bottom end of the pond that can be accessed from Winchestown.
A Local Nature Reserve and Community Green Flag Award Winner.
HOW TO GET TO PARC NANT-Y-WAUN
To get directions to the parking area on Warwick road (marked 'P2' on the above map, please click on the GOOGLE Map to the right, and then click on "view larger map".