"A walk from our industrial past -
To our environmentally friendly future."
Cwmtillery Lakes and the Upper Tyleri Valley are rightly regarded as one of the ‘jewels in the crown’, in Blaenau Gwent. The lower lake, once a feeder pond for Cwmtillery Colliery is a haven to a variety of wildlife including wildfowl.
The facing slopes of the Gwastod are the only home in the U.K of the Salurian Moth.
The lake is a wonderful gateway to the cultural and natural riches further up the Tyleri Valley and over towards the World Heritage site at Blaenafon.
To find out more about the Cwmtillery Lakes, and a walk known as the Horse Shoe Bend Walk, parking by the Cwmtillery Lakes, please click on the link to visit the CWMTILLERY website.
It seems Cwmtillery had little changed by 1799 when Archdeacon Coxe described it as “An extensive district, well peopled, richly wooded and highly cultivated, almost rivalling the fertile counties of England … we looked down with delight on numerous valleys which abound with romantic scenery … “
The valley dad indeed been cultivated from earliest times, records dated 1694, show John Lewis Thomas, Evan John Harry and Lewis Harry Lewis among the smallholders.
By the 19th Century, all this was to change, 1850 saw the sinking of the Cwmtillery Colliery – The Industrial Revolution had arrived.
A second shaft was sunk in 1858 and 1860 saw the opening of Pen-y-Bont pit, further down the valley.
The Interpretation Panel above shows a map of the trail to Roseheyworth Woodlands and an identical panel can be found at Roseheyworth.
The text below about Cwmtillery Colliery has been taken from the panel.
Cwmtillery Lower Lake.
There is a good-sized car park near the eastern bank of the lake.
'The Green Walk'
David Bradley, who is the Technical & Graphics Officer at B.G.C.B.C has produced a detailed leaflet about Cwmtillery Lakes. The leaflet can be downloaded by clicking on the photo to the right, which opens a PDF file.
A Local Nature Reserve and Green Flag Award Winner.